Wednesday 4 April 2012

yarn along

Joining in with Ginny from small things for the yarn along.


Above are some small crochet motifs I have been working on, I am on a bit of a stash busting mission at the moment so I am making these with all the little left over bits of yarn. Each one only takes 4m of yarn and about 4 minutes to make. When I have loads and loads I will probably sew them all together into and enormous blanket. This is an ongoing project!

Below is the silver sparkly shrug for Faith. I managed to make it without her once seeing it so it is going to be an easter present. I think she'll love it, she is such a sparkly girl.


Finger Puppet Instructions (continued)


So, once you've made the base you sew it up. Just sew up the back using your yarn ends and gather at the neck, add a little bit of stuffing to the head at the last minute. Secure yarn ends.

Hat:
Cast on 10 sts.
Knit 2 rows
Working in st st (start with k row) do 2 rows even and then decrease 1 st at beginning of next 8 rows (2 sts remaining)
K2tog and fasten off.
Use tail ends to sew hat into a cone shape and then sew onto head.

Cloak:
Cast on 10sts.
St st 6 rows
Decrease 1 st at beginning of next 4 rows (6 sts remaining)
Break yarn and pull through the 6 remaining sts, then use this tail to secure around the gnomes neck.

Weave in loose ends and your done.
In the picture you can see it is stretched slightly over my finger but it fits nicely on a child's finger. Within about 10 seconds of one of these being finished it had joined in a little make believe game that was going on and been introduced to the other tree house residents!

I didn't get a photo of my book this week but it was mudbound by Hilary Jordan. This was such a good book. I read it in 2 days and couldn't put it down. It is about life in Mississippi in the 40's and the ingrained racism that went on. Such a powerful and thought provoking read but written in a really accessible style.


Jo x 


7 comments:

  1. Love the finger puppets! I think my kids would love these! I might see if I can make some up for there Easter baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finger puppet, thank you for posting the pattern. Are you realy going to sew all those crochet motifs together? Just the very idea is bringing me out in a sweat!! good luck, I'm sure it will be very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the finger puppet.

    Good luck with the blanket, it looks like quite a bit of work, but the end result will be worth it I am sure.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the crochet motifs -- I'm working on an afghan with much bigger blocks and I'm already running out of steam! I don't know if I could stick with such small motifs and make it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shimmery shrug! And the finger puppets are too cute!! My daughter would go crazy over those!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet finger puppet. I can imagine once you've knitted one, you have to knit more. The shrug looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the finger puppet is so cute, love it!! And that shrug, gorgeous, sure to bring delight on Easter morning.

    ReplyDelete